Kern Transit is pleased to offer a free reduced fare photo identification card for seniors and persons with disabilities. The card provides seniors and persons with disabilities convenient proof of eligibility for discounted bus fares.
To be eligible for the discounted bus fare, you must be 62 years of age or older and/or meet the Federal Transit Administration’s (FTA) definition of disability “with respect to an individual.” For details about what constitutes a disability, please scroll to the bottom third of the page.
In order to receive a reduced fare card, ALL of the following documents must be submitted to Kern Transit:
- A completed application.
- A copy of a valid government issued identification card containing a photograph.
- A color photo of the applicant (photos are non-returnable).
- IF YOU ARE YOUNGER THAN 62 AND WISH TO BE ELIGIBLE DUE TO DISABILITY: Proof of eligibility due to disability
Details for applicants:
- A valid government issued identification card is one such as a driver’s license, state issued identification card, student ID, or passport.
- The color photo must show head, shoulders and be front view facing camera. Photo should be taken against a plain white or light background. Do not wear hats, scarves, sunglasses, headbands that obscure features.*If the applicant wears a head covering for religious reasons, or shaded glasses due to a vision impairment, submit a note with your photo and it will be accepted.
- Proof of eligibility due to disability, Kern Transit will accept a Medicare card, a current disabled ID card from another transit or paratransit service, Department of Motor Vehicles disability placard ID or receipt, current SSI, SSD, or SSDI eligibility document. *If none of the items above are available as proof of eligibility, the certification section of this form (Section B) must be completed by a doctor or a health care professional. All medical information will remain confidential.
- Upon receipt of this application, we will review all documents and take the photo provided for our records. Upon approval, a photo ID will be mailed to the applicant. Upon denial of eligibility, applicant will be notified by mail.
- The Kern Transit Reduced Fare Card MUST be shown to the Kern Transit bus operator as proof of eligibility for a reduced fare.
- The application process is free. However, there will be a $3.00 fee for replacement cards.
Submit the form below to apply for a reduced fare card.